Wednesday 25 July 2012

Buttons from Bath

I'm not a button collector, but I'm always on the lookout for unique things to make my sewing more enjoyable. Also, one of the easiest ways of improving a coat or a blouse is simply to replace the buttons. 

A few months back me and two of my very best friends went on a much needed girl-trip to Bath. Within 5 minutes after checking in at the B&B, we were laughing so hard we had to lie down. This set the scene for the next few days, all we did was laugh, eat, drink and sleep. I know that girls are famous for their shopping, but that was very low on our agenda. We did however stumble across a local treasure.  

On our way to the Fashion Museum we passed this cute antique store. It was this big space where different vendors had different stalls and shops. I was immediately drawn to woman selling buttons. I don't just mean any regular buttons, I mean really cool and rare buttons. This old lady had been collecting buttons for decades, and she had a vast selection from not only the 50s. 60s and 70s, she had buttons dating all the way back to Great Gatsby area. Was I really looking at buttons from the 20s and 30s? They were all so beautiful, I felt I would never be happy again unless I bought them every single one of them. I pulled myself together and settled for ten sets.
Here you see some of them: 






I've already used two of the sets. One on an Armani jacket (the original buttons were bland and surprisingly boring), another on a black officy jacket. 

When I went to pay, the old button lady gave me a very special button for free. I love it! Have a look for yourself: 


How precious is that? I still haven't figured out what to use it on, I want to make it into a pin so I can  wear it on whatever I want. Is it me or was Charles a bit handsome back then? When the button lady gave me this button she murmured under her breath that Diana woman was nothing but trouble for them, Kate is already such a hit.  I was amused and a bit shocked by her statement. I thought we all loved Diane, but I guess not. 

I actually have a Diana button, but I know better than wearing them together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment