Sunday 22 July 2012

The Owl

What on earth to you make for your soul mate's unborn baby? A wall-hanging of course. It's one of those great projects you make out of all your leftover fabric. Every little tiny scrap can be saved from the trash and put to good use as a leaf, heart, border, anything at all really. I collect all my scraps in an old laundry basket under the sewing table. Each piece waiting to be part of a new and excited project.

 I happened to know that the proud mother-to-be is a bit of an owl admirer (just one of the many things we have in common), so I decided to make an owely, foresty motif.


All I needed to make the wall-hanging was :
1. A big piece of fabric for the background (an old curtain is just perfect)
2. Lots of little scraps of fabric
3. A machine that sews zig-zag
4. Practising drawing owls. (Not as easy as you might think)

The result:



As you can see  I put 4 loops at the top, that way you just put a regular curtain rod through it and it's ready to go on the wall. 

Obviously we never want anyone to see the messy backside of our creations, so I did put a thin lining on the back. Then I shipped it off to mother and baby, happy to give the fabric owl a good home. 

If always wanted to have a real owl pet, someone who could guard my jewelry box and give me silent advice about my future. You know, just like in the Czech version of Cinderella. 

Someone once said "You get what you want by giving it." I'm impatiently waiting for my owl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment