Saturday 6 October 2012

Revealed by the Wind


I adore my floral Zara silk dress. It's so beautiful and lovely, there is only one annoying catch:
I'm never quite sure what the skirt is doing. Is it stuck on my jacket hem, am I walking around like lady Gaga with my butt on display, or is the skirt hanging down like it's supposed to? Unless I constantly run my hands down the sides of the dress, there is no way of telling what is going on back there.

Someone told me that the royal seamstresses sew sand into the hem of the Queen's gowns. Not only does it make the dress hang nice and straight, it also prevents public embarrassment when gusts of wind   rushes through the royal parade.

Even though I'm not a public figure, there is no reason for my own skirts and dresses to misbehave, regardless of weather. A while back I bought a spool of lead-thread, like one does, it was just what I needed for my flowy dress.



The lead thread isn't super heavy, but there is just enough weightiness there to keep the skirt in place.

All I had to do was rip open the seam along the hem, insert the miracle thread and close up the hem again.


Now I can wear the dress in the carefree, easygoing manner it was meant for. No more paranoid looks, straightening it into place and silently hoping all is as it should be. I know all is well, thanks to an impulse purchase of lead-thread.




No comments:

Post a Comment