Sunday 28 October 2012

Looking the part

Dusting, vacuuming, washing the floors, all used to be really boring stuff. I tried to put a positive spin on it, I mean, at least I was exercising. Sort of. After all I was moving about, and at the same time my home got a bit cleaner. 

When my little brother refused to clean up, I would put on a really fun song and say "This is the Clean-Up song. We have to tidy up and put all the toys away before the song is over." Believe me, it worked. 

The song trick didn't work so well on myself, but then I made this apron:


Dressed in this apron I look like one of the servant girls from Downton Abbey. Reliable, efficient and thorough. 


I can see now why uniforms are so important. It puts you in the right zone, you dress the part. Armed with my little white apron I'm all about the tasks at hand. Afterwords I'll have a nice cup of tea, naturally. 

Where did I get such a magical apron? I made it from an old Victorian pillow case. It was way too big for my own pillows, so for the longest time the case was just tucked away in a drawer. 

It's so beautiful, embroidered and everything. Since I don't believe in hiding things away, saving things for imaginary grandchildren or some special occasion that might or might not happen, I wanted to make the pillow case into something I could actually use. I'm sure the original owner would agree with my decision. 




After all, people were much better at reusing and remaking things than we are today. Our habit is to buy, not to restore or reuse. 

Us upcyclers are trying to change all that. We want to create, re-design, give things a second chance and a new life. 

Would that be all Lady Grantham?









1 comment:

  1. I love it! Even tough I am a hard core feminist, I love wearing an elegant apron!

    ReplyDelete