Sunday 25 November 2012

Upgrading the winter coat

Are you wondering what to wear now that the temperature is dropping? I am. I don't like any of my winter coats. Too red, too long, too heavy, too bulky, too frumpy, too boring. There is now point running out and buying a new one, because by next winter I'll be tired of that one as well.

Soooo...........instead I went berserk on my white coat, determined to give it a magnificent makeover.

Here it is, in it's former boringness:

The style I was going for was a fusion of taking a stroll on the deck of Titanic (before the crash) and young girl reading in the park. 

First I cut of the sleeves and lined them with black velvet. I made sure the velvet showed from the front, making a small border.

Then I replace all the buttons with beautiful vintage buttons from 1920.


Then I top-stitched along the main seams and long collar and pockets with both straight stitches and embroidery ones. 




It was an annoying length, so I cut of 6 inches and re-hemmed it.

Finally I cut a cotton belt in half and attached each part under the collar in the shoulder seam. With this bow the coat immediately got a more maritime/sailor/ oceanic look to it.

The finished result:


Now, who has a blue diamond?














No comments:

Post a Comment