Wednesday 28 November 2012

The Casual Cardigan

My grey cardigan was a bit too casual. I haven't washed my hair in a week, comfortable here on the couch casual. I tried to jazz it up a bit by accessorizing, it still was bad. No one needs to look this boring.

Know what I mean?

It reminds me of the cardigan that was part of my school uniform in Liverpool, not a look I'm dying to re-create.

If it's broken, fix it. Improve it, reshape and resew it. First of all, it needed to be shorter. 3 months at the local gym is starting to pay off, so no need to hide the backside. It also needed to have shorter sleeves, they were remarkably long. I got out my best scissors and cut along side the ribbed edge. Then I cut the cardigan to the desired length.

I secured all the edges with my beloved overlock machine. I have no idea how I ever survived without one. I didn't, to be honest. Sewing anything elastic or knitted was a nightmare. Now it is a heavenly dream. (I do recommend a Singer one.)

I toyed with the idea of sewing a strip of lace on to the edges, but voted against it. It could have been nice thought, maybe next project.

Once all edges was secured with the nice overlock  stitches, I also stitched along the ribbed bits. Now it was time to join the two, sewing the ribbed part back on the cardigan. I used a zig-zag stitch, it's more elastic than regular stitches.



Nice! It looks like it's always been this way. That is always the aim, making it look brand new. 


If anything, in this case, it looks much better than when I bought it. It really doesn't take much. 


It is still casual, nothing fancy, but without being a snooze factor. Great with dresses, perfect for jeans. This is more like it. 












 






No comments:

Post a Comment