Monday 21 January 2013

Easy fixes for four jackets

I have always had a lot of jackets, coats and blazer. Some of them have been my favourites for decades, like the Mao jacket signed by Chris Isaac or the vintage coat in blue wool.
Others need  professional help, otherwise they get overlooked and forgotten.
Sometimes is just the case of mending a tear or change the buttons, small changes really goes a long way.

Here are some minor repairs/styling first aid conducted on four of my jackets.


Every piece of clothing I work on goes through the same process of :
  • Identifying the problem (Too long, too wide, too boring, wrong colour....
  • Figure out how to improve it ( Take it in, cut it up, make it in to something else, dye it....)
Once those to steps have been thought through, I sit down with the sewing machine. 

1. First jacket is nice, but I'm not quite ready to dress like Hilary Clinton. Problem: Too boxy and the bow is flimsy and out of place. Solution: Take it in and get rid of the bow. See the difference? Super cool with jeans and a little tank top. It's a keeper!


2.   This I'm going out riding, but will be back in time for High Tea blazer is p e r f e c t. Perfect fit,     perfect style, but there is one flaw. Problem: There is a small whole in the fabric. Solution: Old fashioned mending with needle and tread. No machine needed. 




I'm not good enough for it not to show at all, but at least it is less obvious. 

3. I fell for this jacket back in 2008. I think I have worn it 3 times since then. Problem: It's lacking something, but I don't want to change too much either. Solution: Attach velvet bows on the pocket. 
The bows are made from the ribbon I cut off from jacket number 1. 


4. I have two black velvet jackets, almost identical, so I wanted to set them apart. 
Problem: Too similar to other jacket. Solution: Change the cuffs and add roses to the collar. 

The roses came from a headband. 

There you have it. Four jackets with four easy-fix solutions. I can't wait for the snow to melt and temperature to rise again so I can actually wear them. 
Spring, I'm ready for you. 













No comments:

Post a Comment