Wednesday 22 May 2013

Zipper Time

Who? Who is designing all these clothes covered in visible zippers? Visible is the operative word her. I've spent a good portion of my life trying to master the art of hiding the damn thing, then all of a sudden they are displayed in full view. Up the legs, across the ass, three of them in a row, creating a scar down the back of an otherwise beautiful dress. Are we all dressing for a Dr Frankenstein and Mr Scissorhand convention? All I know is that I don't care of them. Just how I don't care for the sudden appearance of studs on everything either. Everything from keychains to g-strings are 'decorated' in little studs, making us look like wanna-be punks and/or Liberace . What works on one piece of clothing, let's say a dog-collar, doesn't necessarily have the desired effect on a windbreaker. The studs just makes the clothes look confused and bi-polar.

But, back to the zipper. I was recently given a lovely powder pink blouse. I'm still on a shop-stop mission, so hand-me-downs are even more appreciated than before. This blouse however, had one of those dreaded zippers. Down the side, serving no purpose other than scratch my skin every time I moved. So I removed it, sewed the blouse back up, but now it was too tight. It was like wearing a snake skin or a really big sock. Neither was the look I was going for, so I ripped up both side-seams and inserted a piece of lace. I've seen that done before, probably on one of Lady Mary's dresses. It looks good, noble almost. Playful yet decent.

Once done, I had to wear it when I went to a photography exhibition at Somerset House, followed by a Flat White hunt in Soho. It's the kind of thing you do wearing inserted lace.


This is a before picture, but I forgot to capture the zipper. It's there thought, on the left hand side. 

Not only is the zipper gone and lace in place, but I added a flattering pleat along the waist. Fitted is a good thing. 


And a close up. It was surprisingly easy, under an hour for sure. I've spent more time looking  for clothes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment