Monday 20 August 2012

Confidence

Sewing is all about having a great time, about being confident and happy. Then when you sew the sleeve inside out or you you made the hem too short (theses things will happen..) you can just sit back, take a break and have a big spacious view.

The second I feel like ripping the fabric to shreds or screaming at any moving objects in sight, I know I'm not in the right sewing zone. Mistakes happen, you can hurt yourself, the sewing machine will take on a life of its own. In these moments we have to remember why we are sewing in the first place.

I just know that I'm constantly drawn to my sewing room. I love sitting in my little corner of the house and ponder and think through a new project. It's a great place to sit in general, just me and my mind.


In order to get good at sewing though and having a great time, it does help to have some good tools on hand. Some staples, not too many, but good quality ones. Less is more. 
Here are some of mine:

My beloved sewing machine.


You need super sharp scissors, big and small. 

Measuring tapes, obviously. 

A good steam iron. 

I have a brilliant sewing sister, her talent has always been several notches above mine. One day I figured out one of her secrets. She always ironed everything! I had never ironed any of my fabrics, just struggled with wrinkly fabrics, pleats coming apart and trying to remember where the middle was. As I watched her patiently iron every little scrap of fabric I got a window into what it takes to bring it to the next level. Patient, mindfulness, attention to details. 

As you get better, you get more confident, you have a greater time, and then -guess what? - you get better at sewing. Full circle!








No comments:

Post a Comment