Wednesday 5 September 2012

Fit for a Princess


This looks like a lesbian wedding picture, but it' actually me as the maid of honour and my best friend on her wedding day. 
It was a truly memorable day, starting with swimming in the loch and drinking champagne for breakfast. After swimming, eating, make up and hair it was time to put on the dresses. I had bought a tailored vintage dress for the occasion, £40 from a local charity shop.

Do you know why it is so great to shop at thrift shops and charity stores?
1. The money goes to a good cause
2. Reusing clothes is a really fun way of saving the planet
3. You have the chance to find a real treasure

This dress was a treasure for sure. But, it was too tight. Really tight. I looked like a badly stuffed hay-ball. 
After wiggling my way out of the dress, careful to not rip any seams, I turned the dress inside out to see if I could take any of the seams out. 


I could! Vintage dresses, especially tailored ones, usually have plenty of seam allowance. What a relief! 
I paid for the dress and took it home, ripped up a few seams and sewed the dress out 1/5 inch in four different seams. The result: 



This gem of a dress is over 50 years old and is still going strong. They say people had smaller rib cages before, and that's why the dresses are so tiny. I don't know, I think we are fatter as well, but regardless the reason, don't despair when you can't fit into your favourite vintage outfit. Just take it out a few inches. 









No comments:

Post a Comment