Thursday 20 September 2012

Nothing to Waste

What do you do with all of this?

 

Scraps, strips, small pieces of fabric. I never throw any of them away, just save them all in a big chest for later use..
Don't get me wrong, I'm no hoarder, I can't stand clutter. Feng-Shui has robbed me of any desire to collect and gather. It's like that Chinese saying: If you own more than 10 things, the things own you.

Fabric though, it is too precious to be discarded. It would be wasteful to throw away velvet, wool or silk. Regardless how little or small.

Used in the right way, all these tiny pieces can become marvellous things. A baby quilt, a sofa pillow, a patch on your favourite cardigan, or a quirky fabric basket. Like this one!


I rummaged through my fabric-chest and selected a variety of fabrics. 


What we have here is a piece of a shirt, a blouse, a cloth napkin, garden table cloth and the left-over fabric from a dress I made last year. After being ironed, sewn together, measured to fit the basket pattern, I was left with this cosy thing: 


You need the strips to form 5 squares, 4 sides and one bottom. You can either line the basket with 5 additional squares or make the sides taller than the bottom and simply fold them in to make the lining. That is what I did with this one. 

In the basket below I made the lining out of an old table cloth that had frayed at the edges. The main fabric is hand-woven tweed. Ahhhhhh. 



Once done the wee basket got shipped of to Glasgow as a surprise mid-week present to the person who always, always makes me laugh, every single day. Laughter deserves gifts in all shapes and forms. 








No comments:

Post a Comment