Wednesday 5 September 2012

Mad Men Coat

I got this coat at a charity shop a few years back. I saw a "All coats half price" sign in the window and came out 15 minutes later with a winter coat from Noa Noa, fall coat from Top Shop and this Italian silk coat:


I liked it, but it was missing something....When I need inspiration for a total makeover I google Vintage fashion, Mad Men style, 50s style icons and so on, and then browse through all the photos until I see something I like. I found a picture that inspired me to redesign the coat to look like this:


Basically shortened it, shortened the sleeves and folded the lining around the outside to make the contrasting edge, used the leftover lining from the bit I cut off to make a bow, and top-stitched with bright orange thread. 


Now it is a proper Mad Men coat. Again, it really doesn't take much, and it's really, really fun to transform something kind of boring to something Mad Men Look Alike. 





No comments:

Post a Comment